I want to show you one of the best examples of donor care that I’ve ever seen.
We typically think of a donor newsletter as the best kind of donor care. This letter shows a different — and very effective — way to show donors they matter.
In a personalised, four-page letter, here’s what it does:
- Specifically thanks the donor for his giving.
- Reminds the donor about Anna, a cancer survivor whose story was told in a letter previously sent to the donor.
- Shares an inspiring quote from a fellow donor.
- Reminds the donor how important the work he supports is.
- Describes some interesting recent research projects and thanks the donor for making them possible.
- Talks about some recent appeals that the donor gave to and thanks him for it, and updates the stories that were in the appeals.
- Tells the donor about an upcoming change in leadership.
This same content could have been expressed in a very good donor newsletter. It would be a strong newsletter indeed. But there are some advantages to putting all that good material into a letter.
- It’s much easier and less expensive to produce than a typical newsletter. If you have limited resources (who doesn’t?), this might be a much more realistic project!
- It’s more flexible than a newsletter. It can be longer or shorter as needed.
- In a way, it feels more personal than a newsletter. After all, a newsletter is a “publication.” A donor reading it is aware that many others also got the same thing. But a letter is for one person — even if the same number of people get it!
- When a letter like this is tested against a more traditional newsletter, it performs just as well, and sometimes better.
Telling donors you appreciate them and showing them that their giving matters is a key to successful fundraising. Try this way of doing that!
To discover how you can form a meaningful connection with your donors and transform your fundraising check out our workshop, Donor Love Made Practical. It’s available for members of The Fundraisingology Lab. The Fundraisingology Lab by Moceanic will supply you with high-quality training, expert advice, and an amazing community to take your fundraising to a whole new level.
Ready to get started? Click here to learn more.